The programme of study for Design and Technology
Using a variety of creative and practical activities our children are taught the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in Design and Technology.
Our children are taught the following:
- Use research and develop a design criteria to help design products that are fit for purpose.
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, sketches, diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer aided design.
- The children have to select and use range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks accurately.
- Be able to select a range of materials and components to aid in the products functional properties and aesthetic qualities.
- Investigate and analyze a range of existing products.
- Evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria.
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
- Apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce complex structures.
- Understand and use mechanical systems in their products.
- Understand and use electrical systems in their products.
- Apply their understanding of computing to program, monitor and control their products.
Cooking and Nutrition
- Understand and apply principles of a healthy and varied diet.
- Prepare and cook a variety of savoury dishes using a range of cooking techniques.
- Understand seasonality and know where and how a variety of ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed.